WHEREAS the People of Saint Christopher and Nevis
- declare that the nation is established on the belief in Almighty God and the inherent dignity of each individual;
- assert that they are entitled to the protection of fundamental rights and freedoms;
- believe in the concept of true democracy with free and fair elections;
- desire the creation of a climate of economic well-being in the context of respect for law and order; and
- are committed to achieve their national objectives with a unity of purpose:
NOW THEREFORE, the following provisions shall have effect as the Constitution of Saint Christopher and Nevis:
CHAPTER I. THE FEDERATION AND THE CONSTITUTION
1. The Federation and its territory
- The island of Saint Christopher (which is otherwise known as Saint Kitts) and the island of Nevis shall be a sovereign democratic federal state which may be styled Saint Christopher and Nevis or Saint Kitts and Nevis or the Federation of Saint Christopher and Nevis or the Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis.
- The territory of Saint Christopher and Nevis shall comprise all areas that were comprised in the associated state of Saint Christopher and Nevis immediately before 19th September 1983, together with such other areas as may be declared by Parliament to form part of the territory of Saint Christopher and Nevis.
2. Constitution is supreme law
This Constitution is the supreme law of Saint Christopher and Nevis and, subject to the provisions of this Constitution, if any other law is inconsistent with this Constitution shall prevail and the other law shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.