WE, THE PEOPLE OF SURINAME,
inspired by the love for this Country and the belief in the power of the Almighty and guided by the centuries-long struggle of our people against colonialism, which was terminated by the establishment of the Republic of Suriname on 25 November 1975,
taking the coup d’ètat of 25 February 1980 and the consequences thereof,
conscious of our duty to combat and to prevent every form of foreign domination,
resolved to defend and protect the national sovereignty, independence and integrity,
assured of the will to determine our economic, social and cultural development in full freedom convinced of our duty to honor and to guarantee the principles of freedom, equality and democracy as well as the fundamental rights and freedoms of man,
inspired by a civic spirit and by the participation in the construction, expansion and maintenance of a society that is socially just,
determined to collaborate with one another and with all peoples of the world on the basis of freedom, equality, peaceful coexistence and international solidarity,
SOLEMNLY DECLARE, TO ACCEPT, AS A RESULT OF THE PLEBISCITE HELD, THE FOLLOWING CONSTITUTION.
CHAPTER I. SOVEREIGNTY
First Section. THE REPUBLIC OF SURINAME
- The Republic of Suriname is a democratic State based upon the sovereignty of the people and on the respect and guarantee of the fundamental right and liberties.
- The Suriname Nation shall determine in full freedom its economic social and cultural development.
Second Section. TERRITORY
- Suriname consists of the territory on the South American continent, which has been defined as such.
- The State shall not alienate any territory or sovereign rights which it exercises over that territory.
- The extent and boundaries of the territorial waters and the rights of Suriname to the adjacent continental shelf and the economic zone are determined by law.
Third Section. NATIONALITY
- Who is a Suriname national and who is a resident shall be decided by law.
- Naturalization shall be regulated by law.
- All Suriname citizens are allowed access into Suriname and are free to move about and to reside within Suriname, except in the cases, defined in the law.
- All Suriname citizens shall be eligible for appointment to any public office in without discrimination.
- The law shall determine in which public offices foreigners can be appointed.
- The admission of foreigners and their expulsion shall be regulated by law.
- The law shall determine the rules regarding the extradition of foreigners; extradition can only be effected on the basis of a treaty and in the manner determined by law.
Fourth Section. STATE AND SOCIETY
The concern of the State is aimed at:
- The construction and maintenance of a national economy free from foreign domination;
- A Secured means of livelihood for the entire nation;
- Sufficient employment under the guarantee of freedom and justice;
- The sharing of everyone in the economic, social and cultural development and progress;
- Participation in the sense of citizenship during the construction, the expansion and the maintenance of a just society;
- Guaranteeing national unity and sovereignty.