CHAPTER VIII. DECENTRALISED ADMINISTRATION
230. Decentralised administration
- The administrative divisions of the Maldives shall be administered decentrally.
- In order to provide for decentralised administration, the President has the power, as provided in law, to create constituencies, posts, island councils, atoll councils and city councils.
- The jurisdiction and characteristics of constituencies, posts and councils created to provide for decentralised administration shall be specified in law.
231. Election of Councils
- All members of councils created for decentralised administration shall be democratically elected by their respective communities by secret ballot.
- The President and the Vice President of the councils elected to administer the administrative divisions shall be elected from among the members of each council by secret ballot of the members.
- The term of councils elected to administer the constituencies shall not exceed three years.
- The People’s Majlis shall enact a statute governing the election of members of councils created for decentralised administration.
- The elections of councils created for decentralised administration shall be conducted by the Elections Commission.
The responsibilities of councils elected to provide for decentralised administration shall include:
- to provide democratic and accountable governance;
- to foster the social and economic well-being and development of the community;
- to establish a safe, healthy and ecologically diverse environment;
- to achieve such other objects as prescribed bylaw.
233. Authority to enact subordinate legislation
A bylaw or decision of a local authority shall be subject to Acts or Regulation of the People’s Majlis.
Local authorities shall be provided with an annual budget from the Treasury as provided in law, and shall also have authority, in accordance with statute, to raise funds.
235. Ownership of property and liability for debts
Local authorities shall be empowered to own property and to incur liabilities, subject to any limitations prescribed by statute.