CHAPTER I STATE, SOVEREIGNTY AND CITIZENS
This is the “Constitution of the Republic of the Maldives”. Any reference to the “Constitution” herein is a reference to the Constitution of the Republic of the Maldives.
2. Republic of the Maldives
The Maldives is a sovereign, independent, democratic Republic based on the principles of Islam, and is a unitary State, to be known as the Republic of the Maldives. Any reference to “the Maldives” is a reference to the Republic of the Maldives.
3. Territory of the Maldives
The territory of the Maldives encompasses the land, airspace, sea and seabed within the archipelagic baselines of the Maldives drawn in accordance with the law, and includes the territorial waters, the seabed and air space thereof beyond the said baselines. Any changes to the territory of the Maldives may only be made pursuant to a law enacted by at least a two-third majority of the total membership of the People’s Majlis.
4. Powers of the citizens
All the powers of the State of the Maldives are derived from, and remain with, the citizens.
5. Legislative power
All legislative power in the Maldives is vested in the People’s Majlis.
6. Executive power
As provided for in this Constitution the executive power is vested in the President.
7. Judicial power
The judicial power is vested in the courts of the Maldives.
8. Supremacy of Constitution
The powers of the State shall be exercised in accordance with this Constitution.
- The following persons are citizens of the Maldives:
- citizens of the Maldives at the commencement of this Constitution;
- children born to a citizen of the Maldives; and
- foreigners who, in accordance with the law, become citizens of the Maldives.
- No citizen of the Maldives may be deprived of citizenship.
- Any person who wishes to relinquish his citizenship may do so in accordance with law.
- Despite the provisions of article (a) a non-Muslim may not become a citizen of the Maldives.
10. State Religion
- The religion of the State of the Maldives is Islam. Islam shall be the one of the basis of all the laws of the Maldives
- No law contrary to any tenet of Islam shall be enacted in the Maldives
11. National Language
The national language of the Maldives is Dhivehi.
12. National Flag
- The national flag of the Maldives consists of a white crescent in the centre of a green rectangle surrounded by a red border.
- The dimensions and colour code of the national flag and the placing of the crescent on the national flag shall be as specified in Schedule 3 of this Constitution.
13. Currency of the Maldives
The unit of currency of the Maldives is the Rufiyaa, divided into one hundred Laari.
The capital of the Maldives is the island of Male’.
15. National Day
The national day of the Maldives is the first day of the month of Rabeeu al-Awwal.