IN THE HOLY NAME OF GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, THE EVER LOVING
WHEREAS sovereignty over the Universe belongs to the Omni-present God alone, and the authority to be exercised by the people of Samoa within the limits prescribed by God’s commandments is a sacred heritage;
WHEREAS the Leaders of Samoa have declared that Samoa should be an Independent State based on Christian principles and Samoan custom and tradition;
AND WHEREAS the Constitutional Convention, representing the people of Samoa, has resolved to frame a Constitution for the Independent State of Samoa;
WHEREIN the State should exercise its powers and authority through the chosen representatives of the people;
WHEREIN should be secured to all the people their fundamental rights;
WHEREIN the impartial administration of justice should be fully maintained;
AND WHEREIN the integrity of Samoa, its independence, and all its rights should be safeguarded;
Now THEREFORE, we the people of Samoa in our Constitutional Convention, this twenty-eighth day of October 1960, do hereby adopt, enact, and give to ourselves this Constitution.
PART I. THE INDEPENDENT STATE OF SAMOA AND ITS SUPREME LAW
1. Name and description
- The Independent State of Samoa (hereinafter referred to as Samoa) shall be free and sovereign.
- Samoa shall comprise the islands of Upolu, Savaii, Manono and Apolima in the South Pacific Ocean, together with all other islands adjacent thereto and lying between the 13th and 15th degrees of south latitude and the 171st and 173rd degrees of longitude west of Greenwich.
- Samoa is a Christian nation founded on God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
2. The Supreme Law
- This Constitution shall be the supreme law of Samoa.
- Any existing law and any law passed after the date of coming into force of this Constitution which is inconsistent with this Constitution shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.