CHAPTER 5. MALVATUMAURI COUNCIL OF CHIEFS
29. MALVATUMAURI COUNCIL OF CHIEFS
- The Malvatumauri Council of Chiefs shall be composed of custom chiefs elected by their peers sitting in District Councils of Chiefs.
- The Council shall make its own rules of procedure.
- The Council shall hold at least one meeting a year. Further meetings may be held at the request of the Council, Parliament, or the Government.
- During the first sitting following its election the Council shall elect its President.
30. FUNCTIONS OF COUNCIL
- The Malvatumauri Council of Chiefs has a general competence to discuss all matters relating to land, custom and tradition and may make recommendations for the preservation and promotion of ni-Vanuatu culture and languages.
- The Council must be consulted on any question, particularly any question relating to land, tradition and custom, in connection with any bill before Parliament.
31. ORGANISATION OF COUNCIL AND ROLE OF CHIEFS
Parliament shall by law provide for the organisation of the Malvatumauri Council of Chiefs and in particular for the role of chiefs at the village, island and district level.
32. PRIVILEGES OF MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
- No member of the Malvatumauri Council of Chiefs may be arrested, detained, prosecuted or proceeded against in respect of opinions given or votes cast by him in the Council in the exercise of his office.
- No member may, during a session of the Council or of one of its committees, be arrested or prosecuted for any offence, except with the authorisation of the Council in exceptional circumstances.